Friday, September 11, 2009

Weasels Ripped My Flesh: Cover Art for Hartford Advocate

Hartford Advocate managing editor John Adamian emailed me in early August with a fun cover assignment. They were doing a feature on Fishers, (a kind of large weasel that's native to Connecticut). Apparently, some folks are concerned about these Fishers, and John thought a take-off on Neon Park's classic cover art for "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" would be appropriate.

As many of you already know, the title for The Mothers of Invention's 1970 album "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" is lifted from the September 1956 issue of Man's Life. Supposedly, Frank Zappa handed the issue of Man's Life to artist Neon Park and asked him, "what can you do that's worse than this?" (Isn't that a great quote? I'm considering having it chiseled on my headstone).

So, here's my take on Neon Park's classic "Weasels" album art, with blood-crazed Fishers standing in for the electric shaving weasel:



And here's a JPEG juxtaposing the Neon Park cover with the Man's Life cover. As great as the Neon Park cover is, I feel chastened to stand in the presence of Will Hulsey, the illustrator who painted the Man's Life cover, (what phenomenal chops those guys had).

5 comments:

  1. visited your blog..love the drawings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen this movie? http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4285242624/tt0304927
    It's complete garbage, but the director's commentary is worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the weasels tribute. One of my favorite Zappa albums. The title track changed my perception of music - no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr_Bill9:32 AM

    Masterful,
    In the true spirit of Illustration;
    Graphic poetry.

    Magic,
    ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In high school, some friends of mine were in charge of the yearbook committee - some students did not fill in their quotes, so we took the liberty to do so... for one particular bully, his yearbook quote read... "Weasels rip my flesh."

    Keep up the great work !

    ReplyDelete